[ltp] T40: installation report

Neil Weisenfeld linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
14 Jun 2003 11:15:04 -0400

On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 07:23, Steve Barr wrote:
> >So it's easy for them to hide behind the curtain, by saying
> > that linux and memtest86 are not supported on this laptop.
>
> It's not hiding.  IBM tested a laptop with certain OSes,
> sold that laptop saying it supported those OSes, and
> you bought it knowing only those OSes were supported.

Well, the issue is that if memtest86 is finding a problem that isn't
diagnosed by PC-Doctor, we could probably have a hard time getting them
to buy that, even if it's affecting Windows.

> Besides, there's at least the possibility that Linux isn't
> handling something correctly, right?

Definitely.  Or, it's possible that memtest86 is simply not interacting
with the new chipset correctly.   When running memtest86, Linux isn't
even loaded so it's hard to blame it on the O/S.  But... the memory
errors may be a bug in memtest and the real problems that we're seeing
may be the linux kernel.

Neil