[ltp] memory problems ?

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:36:52 +0200

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 03:38:22PM -0400, Kacper Wysocki wrote:

> I hadn't tried memtest86 before, but now that I have seen it I
> definitely agree that no kernel option will fix those mem problems..
> Does memtest in linux show the same problems as memtest86? Or can it
> not access the space for testing?

There is another memory testing prog, that works in userspace with
Linux: http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/memtester/

I also found memory errors with this program. So everything is
coherent, except with PC-Doctor :-)

> A couple of things (if you haven't tried them already):
>
> 1. Tweak the BIOS options for your memory
> 2. Try the module on a different machine, or
> 3. if possible, try swapping the working module with the one causing
> problems (but I'm guessing the working module is built-in?)
>

> So if 1) doesn't help, then 2) or 3) should indicate whether your
> module is faulty. In that case, you shouldn't have any problems getting
> a new one under warranty.

Thanks for these suggestions. Most have been tried.  I contacted IBM,
and they will swap the probably buggy supplementary memory module with
a new one.

Best wishes,
--
fabrice