[ltp] IDE-Hotplugging

Tilmann Singer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 23:35:53 +0000

* Tod Harter <tharter@rhombus.net> [20030616 14:57]:
> > >I'd like to change my ultra-bay-cdrom with my ultra-bay-akku. Is that
> > >possible while the system is running ( i think under windows xp, it is
> > >supportet, so why not under linux ;-) )

On my A20p, the following works: boot with dvd drive; suspend; insert
extra battery instead of drive; resume; work (just don't do anything
that would access the drive); suspend; insert dvd drive again; resume;
access drive

This is on 2.4.18 and I can't remember having done anything special to
enable it. Below an excerpt from the kernel config that might be
relevant.

good luck, til

tils@tp:/usr/src/linux$ grep -i ide .config
# CONFIG_PARIDE is not set
# ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
CONFIG_IDE=y
# IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_VENDOR is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_FUJITSU is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_IBM is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_MAXTOR is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_QUANTUM is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_SEAGATE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK_WD is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_NEW_DRIVE_LISTINGS is not set
# CONFIG_AMD74XX_OVERRIDE is not set
# CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS is not set
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
# CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
# Old CD-ROM drivers (not SCSI, not IDE)
# CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set