[ltp] Problems with ThinkPad t40 and firewire pccard

Steve Krulewitz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:33:32 -0400

Hi folks --

I have a ThinkPad t40 (actually t40p) running Debian unstable with kernel
2.4.21 + laptopkernel patches, and I am having a very difficult time getting
my firewire pccard working.  It is an IBM branded pcmcia card, which has the
supported Cherri chipset.  I've been testing with both my iPod and an
external powered firewire drive.  I also believe I am using the card service
kernel module.

When I insert the card I get no beeps, so I do cartctl insert 1 and get a
beep.  This causes the ieee1394 and ohci1394 modules to load and everything
looks OK at this point.  However, the sbp2 modules never loads, which I
believe is needed to have the attached drive show up as a SCSI device.  So I
manually modprobe sbp2 and it loads, but does not log any new SCSI devices.
I then try the rescan-scsi-bus script as well as addscsi -s, and neither
find the attached device.

I've tried having the card inserted at boot time as well as compiling
ieee1394 and ohci1394 into the kernel, but it still does not work.
Attaching and removing devices to the card produces no messages in the
logfiles.

I am at a loss of what else to try.  I am also not sure where the problem
lies -- am I dealing with a pcmcia problem, or a firewire problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
-steve