[ltp] [ANNOUNCE] Yet another Linux-on-ThinkPad-A30 page

Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:38:28 +0200

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:24:25 +0200, Martin Hermanowski wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 08:55:00PM +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I wrote together my experiences with my ThinkPad A30 and created a
> > little web page:
> > 	<http://home.arcor.de/scorpidnb/LinuxOnThinkPad_A30.html>
> >
> > Most of the information on this page is collected from other
> > sources, especially on this mailing list, but I hope it will be of
> > some use to somebody. Comments are welcome.
>
> 2.3 hours with one battery is not very much. I get more than 2.5h
> with high display brightness, and more then 3h with reduced display
> brightness.

This is what I get with my machine I bought from eBay, so the battery
is not a new one. I will add a comment regarding this.

> I put the settings I use for longer battery life online, but currently
> they are not translated from German to English. I hope I can fix this in
> a few days:
> https://mh57.de/cc/view.php?file=/linux/notebook

The line
	echo -n "0:0:0:powersave" > /proc/cpufreq
uses the new cpufreq interface, which is only available with 2.5
kernels or with the -ac patches IIRC. The old interface for the vanilla
kernel creates a directory /proc/sys/cpu/0/ with 3 files: speed,
speed_min, speed_max. The first file is for adjusting the speed, the
last 2 files contain the speed limits. The line
	echo `cat /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed_min` > /proc/sys/cpu/0/speed
will do the task.

> There is an interesting patch I havn't tried yet:
> http://kerneltrap.com/node.php?id=653

noflushd does nearly the same, but better IMHO. And this patch will
also be useless in my case since I use XFS, which bypasses the kupdated
thread.

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG