[ltp] T40 802.11a/b card support - in the works?

Valient Gough linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
19 Jun 2003 13:19:30 -0700

--=-UFAzZ1OPQMUd19aAohnX

A few days ago I got a response from IBM tech support about support for
their 802.11a/b card on the T40p.  I've put it on my page at
http://www.inyvrag.net/~vgough/suse-t40p.html .  Here is the relevant
portion, although it isn't clear to me if the support rep means that the
unfinished driver is for the Cisco card or the 802.11a/b card I asked
about:

Update 2003-06-16:

More digging around. I found paperwork filed by IBM with the FCC for the
built-in 802.11a/b card. Nothing leading to drivers, but interesting
technical and design details.

I've been asking IBM technical support about Linux drivers for a couple
weeks, and today got a response that shows some promise - at least IBM
is aware that people would like to use Linux on the T40:

        Dear Valient,

        Please see the answer below.  There is a driver in the works,
        but it is not finished yet.

        We do have Linux support for the Cisco card under Red Hat.  The
        driver is available from Cisco's website.
        http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/aironet-utils-linux

        However, there is no (integrated) Cisco solution for the T40p
        right now. We have asked for more focus on this driver given the
        current situation for T40p customers that want to use Linux.
        Our Linux certification on the T40 and T40p is not complete
        yet.  Once we have completed certification, we alert the field
        and information will be made available via the web.

        Thank you,
        [customer service rep name removed]

--=-UFAzZ1OPQMUd19aAohnX

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
A few days ago I got a response from IBM tech support about support for their 802.11a/b card on the T40p.&nbsp; I've put it on my page at <A HREF="http://www.inyvrag.net/~vgough/suse-t40p.html">http://www.inyvrag.net/~vgough/suse-t40p.html</A> .&nbsp; Here is the relevant portion, although it isn't clear to me if the support rep means that the unfinished driver is for the Cisco card or the 802.11a/b card I asked about:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Update 2003-06-16:<BR>
<BR>
More digging around. I found paperwork filed by IBM with the FCC for the built-in 802.11a/b card. Nothing leading to drivers, but interesting technical and design details.<BR>
<BR>
I've been asking IBM technical support about Linux drivers for a couple weeks, and today got a response that shows some promise - at least IBM is aware that people would like to use Linux on the T40:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BR>
    Dear Valient,<BR>
    <BR>
    Please see the answer below.&nbsp; There is a driver in the works, but it is not finished yet.<BR>
    <BR>
    We do have Linux support for the Cisco card under Red Hat.&nbsp; The driver is available from Cisco's website.<BR>
    <A HREF="http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/aironet-utils-linux">http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/aironet-utils-linux</A><BR>
    <BR>
    However, there is no (integrated) Cisco solution for the T40p right now. We have asked for more focus on this driver given the current situation for T40p customers that want to use Linux.&nbsp; Our Linux certification on the T40 and T40p is not complete yet.&nbsp; Once we have completed certification, we alert the field and information will be made available via the web.<BR>
    <BR>
    Thank you,<BR>
    [customer service rep name removed]<BR>
    <BR>