[ltp] usb digital camera help

Jim Harvey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:30:28 -0500

luca pisani wrote:
> Hi...
> I'm trying to use Fujifilm digital camera mv-1 with linux (slackware 8.1
> kernel 2.4.21) on thinkpad 600E
> How can I mount the device?
> Witch type of file system?
>
> Thanks,
> Bye Luca

My Fuji S602 shows up as /dev/sda1.  I have the following in /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda1     /mnt/usbflash     vfat    noauto,user,mask=022,exec

And I can mount /mnt/usbflash from a user account.  It doesn't always work
though.  I bought a SanDisk USB reader for the Compact Flash cards and it will
mount with the same fstab entry.  I also have a PCMCIA compact flash adaptor and
that mounts as /dev/hde1.  It works better, but can't be used with another
PCMCIA card in the second card slot.  I can run fdisk on the flash cards from
the PCMCIA adaptor or from the SanDisk adaptor, but a SanDisk partitioned CF
won't work in the camera while the PCMCIA partioned one will.

One other thing, the SanDisk did not work reliabily when I got it, I had much
better luck when I plugged it in through a powered USB hub.  Apparently the
laptop does not provide enough power to the USB string to handle a 128 meg CF card.
--
  After Armageddon, there will be only three things left: Kudzu vines creeping
  over the ruins, Cockroaches feasting on the blackened ashes, and somewhere