[ltp] ACK!

Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:26:04 +0200

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 14:50:27 -0300, Adam Southerland wrote:

[... sad story about a hard disk ]

> Now for the question... Is there a Linux Boot Disk (or can I make one?)
> that uses my PCMCIA and will load my NIC for say, a New Install? Maybe use
> files from the Slackware site? or a local FTP Server? (Either way will
> work.)
>
> I have a Thinkpad 760XL (166MMX w/ 32Mb Ram and a 2.1Gb HD) and a PCMCIA
> RTL8139 NIC

Using the Debian Woody installation disks, you can boot from the
floppy, install a few kernel modules to the hard disk (only a small
partition is required here, so you can create it temporary for this
purpose and trash it after that) and get a shell with working pcmcia
support. You can even boot from the floppy and, with a tricky procedure
replace the floppy later with the CD-ROM and install Debian from CDs.
This worked at least on my 765L.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG