[ltp] Hardware -- 390E trackpoint just went south

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:40:40 -0500

Nate Bargmann wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> Not really a Linux question per se, but I used my 390E to do a bit of
> picture editing in the Gimp and now the Trackpoint seems to have failed.
> The symptom is that the pointer is jumping all over the place and isn't
> controllable.
>
> The laptop had been on continuously for several days and no software
> upgrades had been done.  No liquid has been spilled on the keyboard and
> after popping off the surrounding keytops, I can find no visible reason
> for the failure.
>
> The first sign of a problem was that the cursor was drifting to the
> right, so I bumped the stick left and then it just went nuts!  After
> that I restarted since I am using gpm in repeater mode for X.  I
> disabled gpm and edited my XF86Config-4 for direct hardware control and
> restarted again.  The jumping around continues, so I assume a hardware
> failure has occured.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this model?  Is the Trackpoint
> seperate from the keyboard,

No

> or will I need to buy a completely new
> keyboard?

Maybe, but you should test it first under a dos boot up + mouse.com, then
go into dos edit.
If you have a mouse cursor this way, its not a hardware problem.

> I guess the next question is, how do I remove the keyboard?

                  1.Remove the LED Indicator Panel from just above the
keyboard by prying at the lower
                     corners with a flat-head screwdriver.
                  2.Move the keyboard out of the way by removing the two
screws just exposed by step 1,
                     pulling the release tab (located just above the LPT
printer port on the back of the laptop)
                     out, and lifiting the keyboard out starting at the end
near the LCD.

You should try reseatring the mouse ribbon cable.