[ltp] Hardware -- 390E trackpoint just went south

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:33:53 -0500

* Bert Haskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net> [2003 Jun 21 20:42 -0500]:
> > or will I need to buy a completely new
> > keyboard?
>
> Maybe, but you should test it first under a dos boot up + mouse.com, then
> go into dos edit.
> If you have a mouse cursor this way, its not a hardware problem.

Thanks for the reply, Bert.

I downloaded the PC Doctor diagnostics from the IBM site and the
trackpoint is just as flaky with it as in Bash and X.  I think I shall
look for a keyboard assembly next.

> > I guess the next question is, how do I remove the keyboard?
>
>                   1.Remove the LED Indicator Panel from just above the
> keyboard by prying at the lower
>                      corners with a flat-head screwdriver.
>                   2.Move the keyboard out of the way by removing the two
> screws just exposed by step 1,
>                      pulling the release tab (located just above the LPT
> printer port on the back of the laptop)
>                      out, and lifiting the keyboard out starting at the end
> near the LCD.

Thanks for the tip on the release tab.  The Hardware Manual lacks this
information as it only mentions the two screws.

> You should try reseatring the mouse ribbon cable.

Tried that and it acts just the same way, so I think the thing just went
south. :-/

Thanks.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and