[ltp] Re: ACK!

Brian K McDonald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:26:14 -0700

> From: "Adam Southerland" <micah_death@hotmail.com>
> To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:50:27 -0300
> Subject: [ltp] ACK!
>
> I did it... I hosed my Laptop...
>
> GNU Parted... I resized the partition downward and then later resized it
> upwards...
>
> When I resized it up, apparently some info was still there from when I
> resized it down... Duplicate INodes (or something like that)
>
> e2fsck - It runs at starup -- Attempting to run e2fsck =(
>
> lol - all this to move space around so I can use it!
>
> Future Mental Note:
> Put Swap file at end of drive and not the beginning! (It was in the middle)
> and my Linux was at the end...
>
> Now for the question... Is there a Linux Boot Disk (or can I make one?) that
> uses my PCMCIA and will load my NIC for say, a New Install? Maybe use files
> from the Slackware site? or a local FTP Server? (Either way will work.)
>
> I have a Thinkpad 760XL (166MMX w/ 32Mb Ram and a 2.1Gb HD) and a PCMCIA
> RTL8139 NIC
>
> Adam Southerland

This may be too little too late, but the Parted manual mentions several
rescue scenarios.  I am not sure if they apply in your case.

Debian floppies (seem to need all 6, and not the 3-pack that is offered)
and pcmcia 3c*589-* nic have worked well for my 760el (except that the
base install seems to hang at libreadline4 unless i reinstall from
another archive).  Dhcp works great, but entering static paths is not
so straightforward.

Best of luck,

bkm