[ltp] Re: ACK!

Adam Southerland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:18:23 -0300

hmmm....I never looked at the rescue options...

When I tried to resize it back, it kept telling me: This drive has erors,
runs fsck... fsck wouldn't fix it =(
(At least with my knowlegde of it)

It's alright I lost most everything though... In doing so, I fixed my
Windows Problems with it =)
(ps2.exe works wonders, Thanks again Tino! =)

Now I just need to get Linux back on there so I can continue learning it...
Slack 9 didn't like me, so I may go back to 8 and then upgrade stuff to 9+
=)

I'll read the recovery options next time =) hehe
(Or once I get it back installed =)

Adam

----Original Message Follows----
From: Brian K McDonald <bkm@ece.pdx.edu>
To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Subject: [ltp] Re: ACK!
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 21:26:14 -0700

 > From: "Adam Southerland" <micah_death@hotmail.com>
 > To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
 > Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:50:27 -0300
 > Subject: [ltp] ACK!
 >
 > I did it... I hosed my Laptop...
 >
 > GNU Parted... I resized the partition downward and then later resized it
 > upwards...
 >
 > When I resized it up, apparently some info was still there from when I
 > resized it down... Duplicate INodes (or something like that)
 >
 > e2fsck - It runs at starup -- Attempting to run e2fsck =(
 >
 > lol - all this to move space around so I can use it!
 >
 > Future Mental Note:
 > Put Swap file at end of drive and not the beginning! (It was in the
middle)
 > and my Linux was at the end...
 >
 > Now for the question... Is there a Linux Boot Disk (or can I make one?)
that
 > uses my PCMCIA and will load my NIC for say, a New Install? Maybe use
files
 > from the Slackware site? or a local FTP Server? (Either way will work.)
 >
 > I have a Thinkpad 760XL (166MMX w/ 32Mb Ram and a 2.1Gb HD) and a PCMCIA
 > RTL8139 NIC
 >
 > Adam Southerland

This may be too little too late, but the Parted manual mentions several
rescue scenarios.  I am not sure if they apply in your case.

Debian floppies (seem to need all 6, and not the 3-pack that is offered)
and pcmcia 3c*589-* nic have worked well for my 760el (except that the
base install seems to hang at libreadline4 unless i reinstall from
another archive).  Dhcp works great, but entering static paths is not
so straightforward.

Best of luck,

bkm