[ltp] Linux thinkpad - the Missing pieces

Steve Krulewitz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:42:23 -0400

Hi Joel --

> Audio editing software.

http://sound.condorow.net/ is a good resource for Linux sound software.  Try
clicking on "Soundfile Editors" on the left.  Also, try "DLP's Choice" and
scroll down to Soundfile Editors to see the maintainer's favorites.

> GPS Control and Mapping.

Can't help you there.

> Digital camera support is pretty good in Linux, but I still prefer to
> use windows tools because they are much faster and easier to use.

I have a Canon s230 and I have been pretty happy with using gphoto2 from the
command line to copy the images off my camera, and using gthumb
(http://gthumb.sourceforge.net) to view and do some light corrections
(rotate, etc.).  Actually, gthumb has really impressed me -- simple and easy
to use.  Do you find the actual image download faster on Windows?

Also, give Wine a try.  I use it right now for Ephpod (software to manage
your iPod) because I have not liked any of the Linux native stuff.  Wine
worked right out of the box, only needed 1 DLL from Windows.  The graphical
configuration has come a long way since I tried it last (admittedly over 6
years ago).

cheers,
-steve