[ltp] Linux thinkpad - the Missing pieces

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:10:49 -0400

Really as a web based application developer I never had much vested in Windows
to begin with. I was familiar with Linux as early as 1992 (when it was
infinitely superior to the extremely crude win3.0). From 1994 to around 2000
or so I dwelt on NT4 basically because it had a better GUI than any of the
Linux distros, as well as the total lack of a real Office replacement. From
2000 to 2002 or so I sometimes used VMWare so I could deal with Office files,
but otherwise migrated over to Linux on my desktop/Laptop. As of around 2002
I no longer even own a license to anything newer than win98, and I haven't
bothered to install that in a year or so.

In short there is no barrier. OpenOffice, Mozilla 1.3, KDE 3.1.0 and its
various apps provides an environment which is 99% as good as anything
available in windows in the worst case, and 200% better in most cases.

I have no hesitation recommending migration to a Linux desktop for many of my
clients. It is a big transition and most probably won't bite, but new
installations are a lot easier in that regard.

--
Giant Electronic Brain
Internet/E-Commerce Consulting Services