[ltp] VMware 4.0 serial port problem

Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:33:06 +0200

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 07:27:35 -0700, Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:
> I have a 600x.  Slackware 9.0 (Kernel 2.4.21)
>
> I did not test the VMWare serial port under 2.4.20.
>
> You may need to start with a new VM image for VMware 4.0.  Remember,
> you are running the old bios and old VMWare guest OS drivers and an
> old VM image in a new VM.  In going from version 2 to version 3 there
> were a bunch of warnings of issues in doing that.
>
> (As I do not have anything to connect my real serial port to, my test
> was to the Lucent winmodem.  Though the AT commands worked at
> 115200bps.)
>
> My suggestion would be to try installing W2k in a new VM created with
> VMWare 4.0, then test the serial port functionality in that VM.

When I tested vmware 4 with a vmware 3 configuration, it always
complained about old legacy hardware that came from the old version.
IIRC this disappeared when I created a completely new configuration
(no need to reinstall w2k).

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG