[ltp] X Dead on A21p after RH 9.0

Valient Gough linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
30 Jun 2003 14:34:55 -0700

--=-KwwzaVyXlJN/yAKoTXDq

You might try reinstalling your XFree packages since, as you indicate,
something may be damaged or missing..

Get a list of your XFree packages installed:

        > rpm -qa | grep XFree

Get the packages from your install CD/DVD, or download them.

Reinstall:   rpm -ivh --replacepkgs <packages>

I haven't used the --replacepkgs flag before, but it looks like it might
be simpler then doing an -e (erase) --force followed by a fresh
install..

regards,
Val

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 12:33, Rob Bell wrote:

> Nobody had any ideas about this, huh?  Bummer!
>
> Well, thanks anyway.
>
> Rob
>
> RobDBell@netscape.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had a nicely working RH 7.3 installation on a ThinkPad A21p that
> > included a happily functioning X environment.  After what appeared to be
> > a smooth upgrade to RH 9.0 I can no loger start X.  When I run 'startx'
> > I get several errors:
> >
> >     (EE) Failed to load module "xie" (module does not exist, 0)
> >     (EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)
> >     LG.PHILIPS LP150U1-A2
> >     Color, Single, TFT
> >     (EE) R128(0): Virtual height (0) is too small for the hardware (min
> > 128)
> >     (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
> >

> > The A21p uses the ATI Rage 128 Mobility graphics chip, with a 15"
> > 1600x1200 screen.
> >
> > I've tried numerous other XF86Config and XF86Config-4 files, both from
> > other working configurations I've had and from ones I downloaded.
> > Absolutely nothing starts up - every one has these same errors.  This
> > leads me to believe that there is another file damaged, missing, or
> > incorrectly configured, but I don't know enough about X to know what it is.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rob

--=-KwwzaVyXlJN/yAKoTXDq

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>
You might try reinstalling your XFree packages since, as you indicate, something may be damaged or missing..<BR>
<BR>
Get a list of your XFree packages installed:
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<PRE>&gt; rpm -qa | grep XFree</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
Get the packages from your install CD/DVD, or download them.<BR>
<BR>
Reinstall:&nbsp;&nbsp; rpm -ivh --replacepkgs &lt;packages&gt;<BR>
<BR>
I haven't used the --replacepkgs flag before, but it looks like it might be simpler then doing an -e (erase) --force followed by a fresh install..<BR>
<BR>
regards,<BR>
Val<BR>
<BR>