[ltp] OT--600E Harddrive

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
10 Mar 2003 14:35:37 -0600

+---------- On Mar 10, Brandon Philips said:
> -I am going to Fry's tonight so this is a time sensitive post, what hard
> drives should I avoid, which do you recommend?

It's probably cheaper to get it by mail-order, and you'll have a better
selection available. I like my 48 GB Travelstar - it's quiet and it's
5400 RPM. Most notebook drives (last time I checked) are only 4200 RPM.
If I were getting a new drive today, I'd get the 60 GB Travelstar 60GH,
which is also 5400 RPM.

> -What is the best way to move my 10gb WinXP partition to the new drive?  I
> was thinking of creating a disk image, but if there is a bad bit somewhere I
> will be screwed.  Any better suggestions?  Thanks

You should probably ask about that in a Windows-oriented forum. You
might also want to look into getting an external USB or firewire
enclosure (probably about $100) and an 2.5" drive IDE adapter (probably
about $10). Then you can connect the new (or old) drive to your notebook
externally, to access both drives simultaneously.