[ltp] linux mandrake on a thinkpad T30

Frank Roberts - SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:56:19 -0500

I am having a similar problem with Md 9.0. I can connect to the Internet =
by=20
either modem or DSL but cannot set both up such that I can connect to eit=
her=20
without doing a new set up. This translates into I can set up the system =
for=20
a modem and everything works fine for the modem or I can set the system u=
p=20
for DSL and everything works fine for the DSL but I have not been able to=
 set=20
the system up for both a modem and DSL connection and then later connect =
to=20
both - one at a time.

I have found that when I do set the system up for modem and DSL with the =
DSL=20
side connect-able but not connected that I can dial out on the modem and=20
log-on to the network but that no browser or email client was able to see=
 the=20
network.

All I can say with certainty is that there appears to be something blocki=
ng=20
one connection or the other when both are set up.

Please note the appears part of the above statement as I do not have DSL=20
availability except one a month and when I have access to a DSL line I do=
 not=20
have access to a phone line so setting the system up and testing is a wee=
 bit=20
on the difficult side.

As a side note I have noted that your email address is msn.com please be =
aware=20
that may (not will but may) present unpleasant difficulties to a Linux bo=
x.

Frank

As a continuation of the post you do realize I hope that you can change y=
our=20
Internet configuration by accessing ->Configuration -> Mandrake Control=20
Center -> entering your root password if your are in the preferred method=
 of=20
operating which is as user (otherwise skip this steep) -> Network & Inter=
net=20
-> Connection -> and then editing your network connection as you desire. =
It=20
has been my experience that you may safely change, modify, and revise the=
=20
connection profile to your hearts content as long as you create a new pro=
file=20
to do such. It has also been my experience that if you really screw up th=
at=20
then you can delete which ever or all profiles that are screwing you exce=
pt=20
default. Do not delete the default setup which is of course the profile y=
ou=20
originally installed when you set up the system. As to exactly how to set=
=20
these profiles up correctly such that they operate correctly on a laptop =
well=20
there I am afraid you are on your own.

Frank