[ltp] Install boot failure.

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:37:04 -0500

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:04:23 -0600
"Vince Thompson" <VThompson@SomeoneKnows.com> wrote:

> I dug my Thinkpad 770 out of the closet, changed the CMOS battery and
> ordered a replacement display to try and get it running again. It has
> Windows NT4 loaded on it but I want to rebuild it using Linux.

> Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be?
> - The computer is a Type 9548-32U with a DVD drive. It has 32 MB RAM
> memory.- Since the display comes up using the DVD drive showing the
> install screen I assumed it should work for the installation also.

Red Hat 7.2 will work on a 770, but you might be better off using 7.3 or
8.0 - at least as far as installing current DVD-playing software goes.

You can instal Linux from the built-in DVD drive - it worked on my 770X.
You do say you have only 32M of RAM.  That's painfully little - and the
first thing you should do is buy more RAM - probably even before you
install Linux. RAM for 770s is cheap($20/128M DIMM), and you won't be able
to take advantage of that DVD player without it.

By the way - 32M might not be enough to do RH's graphical intall.

I've noticed that the DVD drive is a bit more sensitive about media than
the CD-ROM drive is, so if all else fails, you might try
downloading/burning another copy of the first CD.  Or try rebooting the
system with the CD in the drive if you get the "boot failure" message.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/