[ltp] Install boot failure.

Vince Thompson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:11:32 -0600

> You can instal Linux from the built-in DVD drive - it worked on my 770X.
> You do say you have only 32M of RAM.  That's painfully little - and the
> first thing you should do is buy more RAM ....

After my initial post I reformatted the hard drive and tried re-running the
installation. I did get a little further along with one of the attempts. The
installation message said that 32M was too small for graphical install. I
tried text mode and got further along.

The install ran for about a half hour before text spewed around the screen
and it hung. Repeated attempts to try the installation again have failed to
get past the original boot failed message.

> I've noticed that the DVD drive is a bit more sensitive about media than
> the CD-ROM drive is, so if all else fails, you might try
> downloading/burning another copy of the first CD.  Or try rebooting the
> system with the CD in the drive if you get the "boot failure" message.

Because of the partial installation I know now that the DVD player works
reading from the CD. I did have trouble with a few files it thought were
corrupt and kept hitting the retry button until it finally read the files.
Like you said it does seem to be more sensitive.

> By the way - 32M might not be enough to do RH's graphical intall.

I wonder if too little ram was the reason the partial installation failed.
I'll take your suggestion and get more RAM.

Thanks for your response.

Vince Thompson