[ltp] Slow DVD playback on T20

Michael Reinsch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:19:02 +0100

--=.1(NGSHjHDLl7bg

Hi!

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:09:21 +0100
Hans-G=F6ran Puke <hgp@home.se> wrote:

> I have a Thinkpad T20 with a DVD-ROM and 256 MB of RAM, on which I run
> Mandrake Linux 9.0. (This Thinkpad uses a Savage IX/MV chip for
> graphics). When playing a DVD, the playback is choppy (it stops for a
> short while every other second or so), regardless of whether I run in
> full-screen mode or in a window; regardless of whether I use xine,
> mplayer or ogle and regardless of if I enable dma on the dvd-player or
> not. My XF86config-4 setting is using 16 bits per pixel as
> recommended.

Works for me.

I'm running Mandrake Cooker - but I don't remember having problems with
it for quite a long time. No special stuff or actions required. But
maybe check my page at http://mr.uue.org/gnulinux/t20/, though I'm not
sure if it helps.

Did you test with any other movies like video cds or DivX/XviD? Are they
running OK? If they are OK, you could try copying a small part from a
DVD to your hard disk and see if it runs OK as well.

If you're brave enough, you could also try updating to Mandrake 9.1rc2 -
or wait for some days until 9.1 is released and try again.

--=20
  Michael Reinsch <mr@uue.org>                       http://mr.uue.org

--=.1(NGSHjHDLl7bg

--=.1(NGSHjHDLl7bg--