[ltp] External LCD monitor

Fri, 14 Mar 2003 02:40:18 +0000

My understanding of this is the following:

LCD panels have a native resolution which is defined by the way the
pixels are located on the glass.

CRTs don't, because there are very many more phosphor dots than pixels.
(e.g. you can scale/move the image on a CRT monitor using the monitor
buttons).

The consequences are:

CRTs can work at any resolution. Anti-aliased fonts also look good.

LCDs really don't work at anything but their design-resolution. Anything
else will look badly smudged. (an exact multiple will work better eg
800x600 on a 1600x1200 display). A-a fonts are also often not nice.

The problem with high resolution, small size LCDs is that fonts are
often tiny. The fix is to add the DisplaySize line to
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Eg on my thinkpad at 1600x1200 on a 15" display,
I have

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier "Generic|Generic Laptop Display Panel 1600x1200"
     VendorName "Generic"
     ModelName  "Unknown"

#Added by rjn to sort out tiny fonts - these are width, height in mm
     DisplaySize 304 228

That means that you have to drive your external panel at its native
resolution, not the same res as the internal LCD. This is possible (but
I've never done it, so I can't say how).

Hope that helps a bit.

Richard