[ltp] TP600e 2645-4AU on RH8

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:43:47 -0500

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:02:12 -0500
Jon Lee <jlee103@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

> Also, there seems to be a derth of information about setting up the
> sound in RH8...  I have been going through IBM's document for Installing

I've never tried ALSA, but the kernel drivers are pretty easy to set up.
You need the cs4232 driver.

> RH6.0 on a 2645-4AU.  Do you think it's a good idea to follow these
> instructions for RH8?  Do you know of any other HowTo guides out there
> that are clear, and concise?
> http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4BP6Q6.html

Some shortcuts:
* Go into Easy Setup (F1 while turning the machine on) and disable quick
boot.
* Install sndconfig (it's not installed by default in RH8).  Run it with
sndconfig--noprobe, else you'll get an "unsupported card" type message.
* Select CS4232 driver and provide IO/IRQ/etc. settings.  If you haven't
messed with much in BIOS/PS2.EXE, they should look something like this:
io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
If it doesn't work at first, you may have to fiddle with the settings.  In
particular, you might have to switch dma and dma2.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/