[ltp] Strange intermittent problem with T23, RH 8.0--best way to sleep?

Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:13:53 +0000

Hello Julian,

I have had almost the same problem - apm doesn't wake reliably (it fails
about 1 time in 10). My Thinkpad is an  A22p, and I've had this problem
in 5 generations of Mandrake, and also Debian (Knoppix). Even a BIOS
update yesterday didn't help. I think there is a bug in apm somewhere
which affects the newer ('A'/'T') thinkpads. My current "solution" is to
disable automatic suspend; if I really must suspend it, save work first,
and *hope* it reawakes!

My investigations so far lead to:

1)The problem is that, somehow, the HDD doesn't wake up. On unsuccessful
wakes, you don't hear the start up 'kerchunk', and the system blocks on
HDD i/o. The consequences are:

	*Programs still in RAM appear to work - that's why X seems
	 partly normal at first.

	*Debugging is impossible - something like
          "apm -s >apmerror.txt 2>&1" never works, because if there is an
	error, the system can't write to disk.

	*You can do "Alt-SysRq-B" to reboot. But none of the other
	sysrq things work properly (it may try to sync, but can't)

2)A good test is this script

	#!/bin/bash

	for i in `seq 1 100` ; do
         	echo -e "This is attempt $i"
		touch foo	#timestamp of last successful write
         	sleep 1
         	apm -s
	done

You'll have to keep pressing 'Fn' every 20 secs. But I would be very
surprised if the script gets to the end.

3)The only fix I can imagine is to add an SysRq key combination for
"wake the hard disk, yes really". But I don't know how to do that.
(I tried to contact the sysrq maintainers, their email is bouncing - I
think that code has been abandoned!)
I think it would have to be done in the kernel, since there's no
filesystem to work with if the hdd isn't alive.

4)Does anyone know how to do this? Could it actually just be a config
error? Is it a BIOS bug after all? Would the use of ACPI (supposedly
planned for Mandrake 9.1) be better  ?

Best wishes

Richard