[ltp] Switching from RH8

J Paul Richardson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
15 Mar 2003 10:49:45 -0500

First let me say that some folks may consider this off-topic but what
the heck.  I need a diversion from reading all the tech stuff.

I seem to be on the other side of this view.  I've been using Linux
since 1997; started with Caldera Open Linux (still have the CD here for
some reason).  Over the years I've tried RH, Caldera, Lycoris, Mandrake,
Storm and a host of others.  However, I find I keep coming back to RH.
I'm currently running RH 6.2 on my TP760, 7.2 on my desktop and 8.0 on
my server.  The biggest reason I for returning to RH is that it is the
one I am most comfortable with.  I cut my teeth on Solaris (nae, SunOS),
Ultrix and SVR4 some 15 years ago.  I'm used to working with the
non-standard aspects of different *nix flavors.  Because of this and the
fact that RH has a lot of "non-standard" stuff, it always poses a good
challenge which is something I enjoy.  Plus it keeps my troubleshooting
skills sharp.  GUIs are simply an quick avenue for me to check my e-mail
or surf the web; most of my real work is done at the command line.  I
rarely ever use the GUI config tools that are provided.  So having a
unified looks and point-and-click tools are moot to me.  Basically, as
long as the under pinnings work (with tinkering or not), I could care
less one way or the other.

As an aside, I would not classify RH and Mandrake as "newbie" distros.
I think thay are more intermidiate although Mandrake is probably the
most newbie friendly of the two.  Lycoris and Lindows is what I consider
newbie.  I've had a few peers who couldn't hack RH because it took too
much tinkering to work and switched over to one of the more
Windows-centric distros.

Anyway, that's my two-cents worth.
--
Visit My Corner of the Online World: