[ltp] T30 - RH8: Docking station blows away my mouse wheel

Whil Hentzen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
15 Mar 2003 12:42:50 -0600

Hi folks,

Running RH8 on a T30. MSFT Intellimouse Optical USB & PS/2 mouse.

Problem: The mouse wheel works fine when plugged into the USB port on
the machine itself. But the mouse doesn't work at all when plugged into
the USB port on my docking station. The mouse works, but the mouse wheel
doesn't work, if I plug it into the docking stations' serial port.

Steps:

1. Plug mouse into USB port on machine itself, and turn the computer on.
Kudzu complains that a Generic 3 button mouse (PS/2) has been removed. I
click "Do Nothing". After that, machine boots and everything works
great.

2. Turn machine off. Put machine into docking station. Plug mouse into
USB port in docking station. Turn machine on. Kudzu complains that (1)
MSFT 5 button mouse w/ Intellieye has been removed (I click 'do
nothing') and (2) Generic 3 button mouse (PS/2) has been removed (I
click 'do nothing').

Result: mouse doesn't work at all - no movement, no clicks, no wheel, no
nothing.

3. Unplug mouse from USB, attach little green serial connector, plug
into serial port on docking station. (Machine is on the whole time).

Result: Mouse works, clicks, etc. But wheel does NOT.

4. Turn machine off, and back on again. Kudzu complains same as step 2
-  5 button mouse has been removed and 3 button mouse has been removed.
I Do Nothing both times.

Result: Same as in 3: Mouse works, clicks. But wheel does NOT.

/etc/X11/XF86Config contains two mouse entries:

mouse0
device:       "/dev/psaux"
protocol:     "PS/2"
em 3 buttons: "no"

mouse1
device:       "/dev/input/mice"
protocol:     "IMPS/2"
em 3 buttons: "no"

Do you think it's just that the USB port on the docking station is
busted? Why doesn't the serial see my wheel (but it sees the rest of my
mouse.)

I don't want to pickle. Just want to ride my motorcickle. I don't want
to die. Just want to ride on my motorcy. Cle. And I don't want to peel.
Just want to use my good ol' mouse wheel.

Thanks,

Whil Hentzen