[ltp] Strange intermittent problem with T23, RH 8.0--best way to sleep?

Frank Roberts - SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 04:39:16 -0500

Are you sure that the problem is apm?

I have an A30P and I have noted that on boot or when I change users that =
the=20
display manager may or may not work correctly.
I can guarantee that it will not function correctly if I do not shut down=
 all=20
running programs and log out of KDE and Gnome before shutting down. If=20
instead I shutdown directly from KDE or Gnome then I can be assured that =
the=20
nest boot of the box will be problematic for the GUI.

If on booting the display does not come up of if there is flickering I ca=
n do=20
a <Ctrl><Atl><Backspace> (all three buttons must be held down a minimim o=
f 4=20
to 5 seconds) the display manager will re-initiate and the box will funct=
ion=20
fine.

I do not know I have not tried it but judging from the response of my box=
 I=20
would strongly suggest that the concept of placing your computer in stand=
by=20
to transport is not a prudent idea.=20

I have nothing to back this up with but my suspension is that it will be =
a=20
couple of more years before what you are attempting to do will be feasibl=
e=20
unless of course you have the ability to resolve this issue on your own. =
I of=20
course do not have such ability or it would be resolved.

Thanks
Frank