[ltp] Switching from RH8

Buchan Milne linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:25:06 +0200

Brandon Philips wrote:
> The problem is not Linux inherently it is the non-standard, (and sometimes
> down right dumb) scripts that Red Hat (http://redhat.com) and Mandrake
> (http://mandrake.com) put out, and the nazi like control they put over
your
> system.  These "easy to use" configuration programs kill almost all
avenues
> you have to going against the hardware that was originally tested with the
> distro and using some type of custom configuration.
>
> That is why I was so pleasently suprised at how much more enjoyable my day
> to day use of my machine was after I switched to Debian Woody
> (http://debian.org).  It has few fancy scripts, no spiffy unified
look, but
> what it lacks in those departments it makes up in speed, stability,
and the
> way it forces you to sit down and LEARN Linux, the way it should be.
Now I
> wrote this to express my own opinions (and rally a little support for
> Debian) because I have found myself Linux much more worthwhile after I
nuked
> Red Hat; so no flame wars.

Sorry, but if you took the time to learn Debian, and didn't try the same
with Mandrake, then you are the one forcing your perceptions on the distro.

Most people who diss Mandrake as a distro
1)don't know that virtually all config tools work on a text console also
2)have never tried urpmi, but constantly sing the praises of apt
(whether for rpm or dpkg).
3)Haven't bothered to read the docs on some of the really useful tools
like msec.

On Mandrake I don't need to spend time learning linux, but it doesn't
stop me from doing to or force me to do so just in order to be able to
do simple things.

But please don't put Mandrake in the same category as Redhat when
comparing distros. About the only thing they have in common is the use
of rpm as package db and similarities in the init scripts.

Buchan

- --