[ltp] T30 - RH8: Docking station blows away my mouse wheel

Andreas Locatelli linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:09:57 +0100 (CET)

On 16 Mar 2003, Whil Hentzen wrote:

> > The wheel does not work when you connect it to the ps2 port of the docking
> > station because you are expecting a normal 3 button mouse there (e.g.
> > normally the built-in mouse) and not a 5/7 button intellimouse.
>
> Hmmmm, bummer, bummer. Guess I'll have to call up IBM to see about
> getting a new docking station.
>
> So if I configured the PS2 port to see a 5/7 button intellimouse? Do you
> know which of the two mice - mouse0 or mouse 1 - in my etc config?
> Neither of them make much sense to me....
>
> Whil

Well, you can have many "inputDevice" sections in your XF86config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

---> This is the built-in mouse
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
EndSection

---> This is the USB mouse. Since I want them to work at the same time I
have the option "sendCoreEvents" set to true.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Buttons"               "7"
EndSection

---> This is the general layout section. There is a "inputDevice" section
for each possible mouse. I am not sure what might happen if you have two
different configurations (like the above) for the same PS2 port running
different protocols (PS/2 fot the internal and IMPS2 for the external) I
suspect X is not able to distinguish two different protocols on the same
port, so I suggest you test the USB ports on your port replicators to see
if they work at all (maybe with some other device like disk-on-key, and
maybe in windows).

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"