[ltp] TCPA on Thinkpads

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:09:19 -0500

Yet Palladium inherently needs to build on something like TCPA. Granted you
could implement it in software only, but realistically it wouldn't be too
long before people got tired of having to remember their 128 character
passphrases to unlock their keys just so they could listen to Dire Straights
"Money for Notheg" on their MP500...

Your analogy to the knife is fine, but the founding fathers in this country
saw fit to give EVERYONE guns, not just the government, and there was a good
reason for that! TCPA is like a gun, and its in the hand of the software
vendor when its coupled with Palladium, which it WILL be. The economic
argument is clear and compelling.

I wouldn't put guns only in the hands of the enemy (and everyone on this list
pretty much knows Bill Gates ain't our friend), would you? If you would, then
you are trading freedom for security, and I think we all know how that one
goes.

Yes, a TCPA chip is a nice feature and a nice convenience. Now please inform
IBM that I don't really need it that badly ;o).

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain