[ltp] TCPA on Thinkpads

iriXx linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:36:23 +0000

> It's more to make things like online banking more secure, by generating
> good private keys and storing them where malicious code can't get at them.

that much has already been disproved by MS themselves.

so called 'malicious' hackers will keep hacking anyway. i've spoken to a
few in researching my book (i protect my journalistic sources, sorry ;)
- they've all said that TCPA/Palladium will present a minor
inconvenience but then business will continue as usual. it will only
keep *us* from seeing what is happening on our own computers. it will
also make it much easier for *staff* running a TCPA system to access
your keys without your say-so - you wont even know its happening. Ross
Anderson and his Ph.D student Mike Bond have already just published a
paper on the ease with which staff at banking institutions could crack
PIN numbers - who knows what could develop under TCPA.

m~

--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org