[ltp] sharing files usin printer port

Robert Hollis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:24:52 -0600

The cable is commonly referred to as a LapLink cable (originally sold by
Traveling software as part of the LapLink package).

Robert Hollis
630-568-1491 (T/L 994)
e-mail - vdrlholl@us.ibm.com

IBM
Two Lincoln Centre
Oakbrook Terrace, IL  60181

Tod Harter <tharter@rhombus.net>
Sent by: linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org
03/24/2003 09:27 AM
Please respond to linux-thinkpad

        To:     linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [ltp] sharing files usin printer port

On Sunday 23 March 2003 12:22 am, J. C. Masias Guillen wrote:
> Somebody knows how to share files using the printer port?

In theory you would use PPP to set up a point-to-point network link
between
the two boxes on /dev/lp0. I haven't done it, at least not in enough years

not to recall any details, but you would start by learning about the pppd
program. One side will have to be set up to receive the connection and the

other to initiate it. The initiating side is virtually like dialing into
an
ISP with a modem, except there's no dialing...

Hardware-wise I think you need a special cable. That was always the case
in
the old days anyway. Maybe if you set up your printer port for 'EPP' you
don't, but in any case you have to have a cable with the right connectors
on
it. I'd try to get one of the old ones that was made for this purpose.
There
used to be some software for windows that came with such a cable.

I'm sure some of the other guys will be a bit more helpful, its just been
way
too long since I needed to do anything like this.
--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain