[ltp] T40 / Pentium M and Linux

John Tilp linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:05:56 -0800

"j.j.green" wrote:

> > Whatever.  Dont forget a lot of us use Linux because it
> > better meets our needs, not because of some "political"
> > stance.
>
> What? So objecting to being forced to pay for something
> you dont want is a political stance? Perhaps you could
> explain why.

> "Steve Barr" wrote:
>  From the MS trial it came out that it was cheaper (or
>  required) that a manufacturer ship windows with each PC
>  sold because of the contract terms.

HP/Compaq offers consumer models with no OS installed, a copy of
Mandrake in the box, and the option to pay for tech support from
Mandrake. It doesn't appear to be a polital stance. One of the
models they offer this way is their cheapest 2.4 GHz P4 package.
May be time to review the financial impact of the contract ;-)

-John Tilp