[ltp] T40 / Pentium M and Linux

Atul Chitnis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:53:48 +0530 (IST)

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Steve Barr wrote:

> Can you imagine the support calls?
> "I'm having a problem with my ThinkPad model mumblemumble."
> "Did you install an OS?"
> "Yes."
> "I'm sorry sir, that's not a supported configuration."

That is a fairly crappy staement. I am from Bangalore, and if you work for
IBM, you probably know how big Linux is in IBM India, Bangalore. Every
second engineer I know there toting a Thinkpad runs either Linux alone or
dualboot Linux and Windows. In fact I bought my T30 based on the
popularity of this model with IBM engineers (I have a lot of friends
there). The Thinkpad support division, that has had to deal with me since
1997, is *very* Linux savvy (the page someone asked me about? That was
given to me by the Thinkpad service person), and in the past 5 years, I
have been extremely happy with both the service as well as their overall
competence in Linux.

Not supporting Linux officially on Thinkpads has *nothing* to do with
support issues, believe me. It is a pure marketing call, and yes,
Microsoft's influence is the biggest factor of them all.

and it is a stance IBM will have to grow up from ASAP - someone up there
in IBM marketing needs to understand that us "Linux
renegades/non-conformists" just happen to have a major market share
already, and unless IBM marketing dudes stop looking under the bed to see
if there is a Micros^H^H^H^H^H^HMonster there and start doing what they
are being paid for (which is *SELL MACHINES*), IBM risks being laughed out
of the sandpit for its attitude.

> Whatever.  Don't forget a lot of us use Linux because it
> better meets our needs, not because of some "political"
> stance.

Yeah. That would be roughly about *all* of us. Funny - I dont know if you
realise how condescending that remark comes across.

> For a time IBM did sell ThinkPads with Linux installed, but
> unlike with servers, I guess not enough people bought them
> for IBM to justify the additional testing, documentation,
> support, etc. expense.  If you want to flame anyone, try
> the Linux community.

Serious crappola. As someone who actually tried to buy some of these
Caldera-Linux pre-installed TPs when they were shyly introduced, I can
tell you that it wasnt the Linux community at fault at all - it was IBM.

I have reams of email between me and IBM to prove this - I wonder whether
someone from IBM would like to challenge me on this? The one statement
that stood out was in one of the final notes I got, which said that IBM
does not consider the Linux market a big one and hence cannot market these
Thinkpads in places where they are difficult to support - this is at the
*same* time when IBM established its Linux Competency Center in Bangalore,
staffed by some 200 people!

Don't blame the Linux community for fumbling the ball here.

Bah, Steve, bah! That note of yours was *way* off the mark! I wonder what
Sandeep Menon would say if he saw this? Despite the disclaimer, your note
did come across as an official IBM statement! It would have been wiser to
say nothing!

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@exocore.com
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 344-0397