[ltp] Re: Linux Mandrake 9.1

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:07:21 -0500

What version of VMWare and what 'networking' options did you choose?

VMWare as of 4.x (which is still alpha software) has 3 modes of networking,
host-only, NAT, and Bridged. Older versions lacked the 'NAT' mode (though you
could get the same effect by using host-only, honestly there seems to be no
difference between the 2).

In bridged mode the virtual ethernet card shows up on the REAL LAN with its
own IP number (I presume VMWare's kernel module must do some MAC address/ARP
wizardry to accomplish that).

In host-only mode your virtual ethernet goes on a 192.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x
network which is internal to the host. Their docs say that this network can
'only talk to the host machine' but in reality its just a network to the
host, and it can be routed or NATed like any other network. Thus with
iptables rules you can allow your guest OS to get at outside resources via
the host acting as a router. Just go read the HOWTO on NAT with iptables,
nothing unusual is required and most firewall config scripts can set it up
for you.

With VMWare 4 they have the 'NAT mode', which as far as I could tell was
EXACTLY the same as the host-only mode. I still had to put in the NAT rules
myself, so I have no clue what selecting that mode gained me (perhaps now
host-only mode REALLY is cut off from the outside world? I haven't tested
that theory...).

Anyway, the easiest to set up is bridged mode and I think for most people that
would be fine. All you should have to do is select that mode when you set up
your virtual machines and give them an IP number in the usual way for your
network.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain