[ltp] Preparing to install Thinkpad 380xd with Debian

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:29:28 +0100

On Friday 28 March 2003 17:41, Dwaine Gonyier wrote:
> Also, does Linux still support smbfs for mounting remote CIFS shares as
> though they are
> NFS exports? Or is there something newer and better? I know about Samba,
> but when I used
> it way back whenever, the client side of it was more like and FTP tool
> rather than a
> filesystem mount point.

You can use the smbfs like a normal network file system easily:

mount -t smbfs //SERVER/share /mnt/samba/server/share
or
smbmount //server/share /mnt/samba/server/share

You need SMBFS file system support (kernel) and the samba package installed
(for smbmount).

There is a FTP like tool in the samba package but you don't have to use it.
Using a recent KDE 3.1 you can just enter (in Konqueror) "smb:/" and get all
workgroups in your local net (after configuring it first in the Control
Center -> Internet & Network -> Local Net Browsing -> Windows Shares).
"smb:/workgroup/server" gives you all browseable shares on the server. It's
really easy and no mounting!

Ciao, Matthias

--
"If liberty means anything at all,