[ltp] Linux Mandrake 9.1

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:07:53 -0800

On Friday 28 March 2003 11:20 am, Robert Hollis wrote:
> I downloaded and installed it this am.  Only thing I found so far is DV=
> player won't play 'The Matrix'.  I have the 3com 556b nic in a T21 and
> that works (no problem).  I'll check the modem this weekend.

That's because "The Matrix" has CSS, the crypto system mandated by the bi=
g=20
motion picture companies to protect their precious content. However, if y=
ou=20
use a non-encrypted DVD, you should have no trouble. If you go to=20
http://www.thinkgeek.com/, you can buy the deluxe DVD edition of the Linu=
x=20
documentary "Revolution OS". This is neither encrypted nor region-coded. =
I=20
have also found that some releases from Anchor Bay Entertainment are also=
 not=20
encrypted, and also some releases from ADV Films, the anime distributor w=
ho=20
has rights to such titles as Excel Saga, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Nuku=
=20
Nuku. There must be more. I suspect many other anime titles are=20
non-encrypted, as are some of the public domain titles you can find in th=
e=20
bargain bin at your local Videos R Us.=20

Alternately there are libraries that you can find which will allow you to=
=20
decrypt DVDs from the big media conglomerates. Remember, that kid in Norw=
ay=20
is still fighting for his freedom through the courts because he had the=20
temerity to come up with a program to break CSS encoding. They are out=20
there...because I live in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave=20
(ha!) and am subject to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, I won't tell=
 you=20
where to go to find them.=20

Finally, both the manufacturers of WinDVD and PowerDVD have Linux version=
s all=20
ready to go. They are set up to deal with CSS, and are fully licensed by =
the=20
DVD Forum. However, they will not just sell the proggie to the Great=20
Unwashed. You have to be an Original Equipment Manufacturer and willing t=
o=20
buy thousands upon thousands of copies. And who knows how compatible thes=
e=20
binary-only programs are with current Linux distributions?

The DVD Forum and the MPAA are what is standing in the way of unconstrain=
ed=20
DVD playback under Linux. Unfortunately, they only see Linux as a "hacker=
 OS"=20
not readily used by consumers.=20

Perhaps this is the reason why I don't buy many new DVDs anymore. :(
-.\\<-H-

--=20
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273
Spam me and you pay! I'm in California! http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1=
=2Ehtml
Brought to you by Linux, KDE and KMail...try it, you'll like it!