Windows tax (Re: [ltp] T40 / Pentium M and Linux)

Bjorn Knutsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 12:06:31 -0500

On 29 Mar 2003 18:32, Edi Weitz wrote:
> "Matthew T. Brewer" <mbrewer@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > I played with the restore function on my T30 using the builtin tools
> > - and it doesn't appear to work after you've repartitioned a
> > drive. So I don't think it will work in your situation.
>
> I managed to get the restore CDs for my T23 from IBM and they work
> fine with repartitioned drives as long as the first drive is the
> Windoze drive. I'd be interested to know if anybody can confirm that
> this'll also work with the built-in restore partition (which I
> deleted).

I did this with the restore partition. If the first partition exists,
it will use it. Thus, you build that partition as large as you like it
to be, and then restore.

I've also done the same thing with the restore CD. Although, the last
time I did that, I actually dumped (as in 'dd if=/dev/hda1' (*)) that
partition to disk. It takes a couple of hours and zillions of reboots
to get that Windows back on the machine. Next time, I'm having none of
that, and I'll just 'dd of=/dev/hda1' everything back, patches,
post-installation tweaks, patches and all.

/Björn

(*) If you defragment and then write a honking big file filled with
zeros on the disk before doing this, the result compresses nicely.