[ltp] Re: Linux Mandrake 9.1

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:04:37 -0500

On Sunday 30 March 2003 05:50 pm, Ross Patterson wrote:

> Host-only networks don't allow the OS in the virtual machine (aka "gues=
t")
> to communicate with the world outside the hosting Linux machine.  If yo=
> choose your network adresses carefully and can control routing
> sufficiently, you can get past this problem.  NAT networks work exactly
> like they do anywhere else, like at home with a cable modem and a NATin=
> firewall - the guest OS vanishes behind the NAT "box".

As I say, what is the difference then between 'host-only' and 'NAT'. In b=
oth=20
VMWare 2.4.x and 4.0 (which are the only ones I've used, i never had acce=
ss=20
to 3.x) the two work IDENTICALLY. In either case you set up your host=20
machine's network to do ip masq (NAT) between 'eth0' and 'vmnet1' (or 0 o=
r 8=20
or whichever, it varies depending on exactly how you set up VMWare I gues=
s).=20
In any case I could detect no actual difference in how the two worked exc=
ept=20
the name of the interface (vmnet1 vs vmnet8).

--=20
Tod G. Harter
Giant Electronic Brain