[ltp] Help with pcmcia on a 560z

nat linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 3 May 2003 10:08:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hey, I have an IBM Thinkpad 560z that I am wrestling to get Debian on to.
The machine has no CD or floppy drive, or at least when I was given the
maching they had been lost, so in order to install I got a harddrive converter and threw it (the hd) into a desktop, and installed from a
knoppix CD. I installed a 2.4.20-xrfs kernel. Threw the drive back into
themachine,fixed the strange vga settings, and moved on to configuring ethernet
support.  WhenI was given the machine it was running Win98 and both
PCMCIA sockets and cards modem and ethernet were working.

Through a few google searches I found that pcmcia support on my machine
can be obtaned through these modules: yenta_socket pcmcia_core, and that
my ethernet card, a Linksys EC2T, uses pcnet_cs .

All of these modules are loaded (checked lsmod).

When I check the /var/lib/pcmcia/stab I get

Socket 0: empty
Socket 1: empty

I tried running ifconfig eth0 up and got

eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device.

In my search for an answer I found this thread on the archives of a list:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2002/debian-laptop-200210/msg00210.html

The problems described there mirror mine, but the thread terminiates
before the solution is found.  (the only difference in description is that
my machine does not beep when cards are inserted or removed.  But all
outputs are similar enough.

It seems like the machine won't recognize anything in the PCMCIA sockets,
as it also does not find my modem.  Is there something that I can do?
Thanks for any help, ~~nat