[ltp] PNPBIOS oops at bootup

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
06 May 2003 09:01:07 +0200

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 00:01, Ken Restivo wrote:

> I pulled out Thomas Hood's pnpbios patch from
> the 2.4.18-ac3 kernel patch, creating my own little
> "pnpbios-only" patch. It applied and built: so far
> so good.

Did you patch *all* of the following files?:
arch/i386/kernel/traps.c
drivers/pnp/Config.in
drivers/pnp/Makefile
drivers/pnp/pnpbios_core.c
drivers/pnp/pnpbios_proc.c
include/linux/pnpbios.h
init/main.c
Makefile

> Of course the simplest possible case (pnpbios-only patch)
> oopses at bootup :-(. I'm now tracking down a ksymoops to
> find out why.

Make sure that "Quick Boot" is turned off in the
firmware setup program.

> 	1) Is there, anywhere, a clean, normal
> non-ac, pnpbios-only patch somewhere?

No, I don't maintain such a patch any more.  No need, cuz
pnpbios is in -ac, and Linux 2.5 has a whole new pnp layer
that combines isapnp and pnpbios.

> Alan Cox is quite a clever fellow, but I really don't
> want all the rest of the stuff in -ac patches.

Neither do I.  The sched_yield() changes turn OpenOffice 1.0
into an arthritic snail.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood2@yahoo.co.uk>