[ltp] Thinkpad model differences

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 7 May 2003 21:38:15 -0400

On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:42:37 -0500
Tom Hoover <tom-sender-f26db9@hisword.net> wrote:

I'm assuming you want a $500 or less Thinkpad that fits the bill, so I
won't mention many of the newer machines.

> FYI- the features that I'm looking for are:
>
> MUST HAVE:
> DVD (preferably internal, but might consider external)
> USB port (one is fine)
> PCMCIA (one is fine)

Most any older P233 or better Thinkpads will fit this bill.  In
particular, you might consider the Thinkpad 600 series or the 770 series.

The 770X or 770Z, in particular, come with a 14" screen and can be had
with DVD player.  The 600E's thinner and lighter, but more costly.

> Nice to have:
> 500 mHz or faster

The 770s top out at (I think) 366 MHz, but they're $300 or so.

> Light weight / thin (almost anything would be thinner and lighter than
> my old Tecra)

The 770s are thick and heavy.  For that, you get a big screen. :)

The Thinkpad 240's REALLY thin and light, but no internal drives except a
hard drive.

> 3 hr battery life (so I can watch a complete movie without
> plugging in) External floppy (to help keep weight down)

Here's something I don't think you'll get.  DVD playing burns battery like
there's no tomorrow.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/