[ltp] T30 w/ DVI and external Flat Panel 1600x1200@60Hz

Michael B Allen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 05:07:53 -0400

update...

On Tue, 6 May 2003 22:27:20 -0400 (EDT)
"Michael B Allen" <mba2000@ioplex.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a T30 with a Radeon Mobility M7 which I believe is also known as
> the Mobility 7000 IGP. I would like to use the DVI out on the Port
> Replicator II I just purchased to drive a Dell 2000FP 20" flat panel
> display.

Oops, IBM's website claims DVI max resolution is 1280x1024. Strange that
it's actually less then the builtin LCD. I wonder if it's a hardware
limitation.

> However, alas it does not work out of the box. I used a modeline that
> successfully drives the display from Radeon PCI card in a regular
> workstation but the resolution on the T30 was demoted to a smaller
> resolution resulting in corrupted display. I think I need to upgrade
> XFree86. Currently I'm running 4.2.0.

Does X 4.3 work with glibc 2.2 and whatever else is default on RH 7.3?

> But I have what seems to be a more important problem. Hitting Fn+F7 does
> not work as expected. Once I have switched to the external DVI output I
> cannot switch back without rebooting the machine.

Acutally it works with 1280x1024 using the regular D-Sub connector. And
it works programmatically in Win2K on the DVI connector.

?

> Also do you have a good strategy for switching between the higher
> resolution of the external display and the 1400x1040 of the builtin LCD?
> I'm hoping XFree86 will detect the change in monitor and use the
> appropriate modeline to match. Ultimately the best possible scenario would
> be to just dock it and hit Fn+F7. Anyone get that to work?

Stil working on this too...

Mike

--
A  program should be written to model the concepts of the task it
maximizes  the  potential  for it to be applied to tasks that are