[ltp] Thinkpad model differences

Ben Pfaff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
09 May 2003 09:25:18 -0700

Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@innominate.com> writes:

> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 08:30:46 -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 03:15, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> >
> > > My T30 has 1 GB RAM.  That's enough to buffer a lot of DVD.  Just
> > > slurp it into memory in a few big reads instead of keeping it
> > > spinning all the time.

> A DVD with 1 GB of contents is somewhat...uhm... short, isn't it?

Right, that's why I said "a few" big reads instead of "one big
read".  When you've watched enough of what's buffered that you'll
have just enough time to slurp in the next 1 GB (or whatever),
you start reading the DVD again.  Thus, you go through a (say) 10
GB DVD in 10 big reads, instead of in a 2-hour continuous read.

> I would rather rip it to the hard disk and watch it without a
> DVD drive.

The same technique could be applied to hard disk viewing.  Hard
disks also take power to keep spinning, though I imagine it's
less than for DVDs.
--
<blp@cs.stanford.edu> <pfaffben@msu.edu> <pfaffben@debian.org> <blp@gnu.org>
 Stanford Ph.D. Candidate - MSU Alumnus - Debian Maintainer - GNU Developer