[ltp] Thinkpad model differences

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 May 2003 19:43:54 -0400

On Sat, 10 May 2003 12:59:42 -0700 (MST)
"M. Leo Cooper" <thegrendel@theriver.com> wrote:

> The 760s, especially the XL, come in a convenient, compact package
> and have a bright, just-right sized 12.4" screen. The "flip top" makes
> swapping out drives quick and easy. They are also very cheap now on
> eBay.

> Disadvantages:
>   1) Lousy keyboard. It stiffens up considerably after a few months of
>   use. 2) The XL gets quite hot after a while. This can cause lap
>   discomfort.

> Also, avoid like the plague the cheaper passive matrix screen models.

Also, avoid the 760 models (like the 760XD) with built-in modem.  These
modems use an older version of the Mwave DSP for both sound and modem
functions.  Unlike the Mwave DSP in the 770 and 600 series, this one is
NOT supported by Linux in any way, so you'll have to use a PCMCIA modem
and you won't get any sound except for the system beep.  The 760XD *does*
have an XGA screen, but the lack of sound/modem functionality makes the
system more trouble than it's worth.

That, and the keyboards really DO suck on the 760s.  After a while,
the keys get so stiff, it's practically impossible to type on one.

The 760 series is also underpowered for DVD playback.

> The 770s have a very nice keyboard. Smooth action, and it doesn't seem
> to worsen with use. Nice big and bright screen. These are also cheap on
> eBay right now. The top of the line 770Z can be had for a little more
> than $300.

Basically, most any of the Thinkpad keyboards are nice except for the 760
series.  The 770-series internal modem also has Linux drivers, and a
Linux-compatible (though not autodetected) soundcard.

If you're installing Red Hat, avoid Red Hat 8.0 on the 770 - DVD
playback won't work properly. DVD playback works fine with both Red Hat
7.3 and Red Hat 9.

> Disadvantages:
>   1) Large footprint and heavy weight.

Quite heavy.  They're nice machines, but if you're looking for something
easy to carry, get a 600 or 240.

>   2) Possibly unreliable. I've burned out a screen on a used 770 after 6
>      months of use. I hope this is just a fluke.

>From reafing the other Thinkpad list, inverter/screen problems are more
common on this machine than on other Thinkpads.  The good news is that
(1) the screens are fairly easy to come by on Ebay (2) you will likely
have advance warning if your screen IS going to fail - it'll develop the
habit of flashing on and off on occasion.

We have two of these at home - one had to have the screen replaced, the
other is fine.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  College Chemistry website: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/