[ltp] Thinkpad model differences

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
10 May 2003 11:12:28 -0400

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 17:42, Tom Hoover wrote:

> 3 hr battery life (so I can watch a complete movie without plugging in)

Like I mentioned previously, my T21 fits almost all your criteria - I
imagine any later T series model might too - the T's are intended to
balance Transportability (thin and light) with functionality (14.1"
screen).

In light of other comments, I thought to add - my approach is I bought
two main batteries.  As cheap or cheaper than the Ultrabay battery,
allows me to use the CD/DVD/whatever as well.

When the first runs out, I hibernate (think of it as Intermission -
we're supposed to stretch our legs on long flights), exchange batteries,
and continue...

Slightly apropos of that, I also purchased another of the same hard
drive as comes with the machine, and a carrier to mount it in the
Ultrabay.  My backup is "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=16384k" (about 2
hours and 41 minutes).  If the hard drive should quit, I exchange them
and I'm up again immediately.  I can also temporarily divert the backup
drive to experiment with new software or new distros of Linux.

Those strategies would work with lots of machines (although this backup
approach kills Window$ 2K - even on the source drive - I know of no
explanation.  It's fine with Linux, Win98, VMware drives.)

Cheers,
Bret

--
Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@alum.mit.edu>