[ltp] HD Noise

Wed, 14 May 2003 10:57:27 +0200

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 23:58:56 +0200, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:
> Am Freitag, 11. April 2003 15:53 schrieb Tino Keitel:
> > This only works with ext2 since all journaling filesystems bypass
> > the bdflush stuff and don't care about the settings you make there.
>
>  Sure? I read somewhere that noflushd works with ext3 (which is why I
> chose it for my R31). I think only JFS, XFS, reiserfs bypass it.

To read something somewhere in the web does not make it become true.
>From the noflushd home page, regarding the latest release from January
2003:

"Most importantly, it clearly documents that noflushd currently cannot
sanely work with any journaling filesystem like ext3, reiserfs, jfs,
xfs etc. Better support for those filesystems might be added in later
versions of noflushd, but first the Linux kernel has to provide certain
hooks to userland. Which it currently doesn't."

I read somewhere (yes, really :-) that the VFS of kernel 2.6 is
intended to provide such hooks.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG