[ltp] Audio + APM + T30

Ted Johansson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 May 2003 11:46:43 +0200

This is a related experience with a T21.

I recently spend considerable time getting suspend and hibernate to work
with MKD9.0 and KDE. The main problem was the sound and ALSA, which
would not restore after apm restore, with no sound at all for all
applications. The sounder card/driver is the (snd-)cs46xx for T21.
Mandrake uses ALSA 0.90rc3 I think. From a lot of googling, my
impression was that the ALSA drivers does not handle apm suspend/restore
correctly and no fix was (yet) available. And since 'kicker' (aka
k-panel) in KDE uses sound, service sound can not be restarted without
crashing kicker.

The way I solved the problem was to change to the kernel OSS driver
(cs46xx) after also having download the commercial OSS drivers that
simply hung the machine after restore. With this driver, the sound
restores and works OK with xine, xmms and KDE sounds.

However, as I understand it, ALSA is considered better sound and more
features, so an ALSA solution for the apm suspend/resumce problem with
the T21 would also be nice.

Best regards,   Ted