[ltp] media playback timing with power status change

Aaron Krowne linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 May 2003 15:52:43 -0400

Hi,

I've owned a (second hand, refurbished) T20 for about a year now.  One
of the things I noticed early on was that sometimes the timing for media
playback (chiefly music in xmms, but also videos in mplayer) gets
completely out of whack.  It seems like it is slowed down incredibly, but
erratic and staticy.   In short, unwatchable/listenable.

This only seems to happen when the power status (battery or wall) is
changed between suspends or reboots.  There is no problem if I unsuspend
on battery and play an mp3, or if I unsuspend on wall and do the same.
But if I unplug the wall power and play an mp3, or plug it in from a
battery unsuspend, the problem occurs.  And going back to the original
unsuspend/boot-up power state without actually unsuspending or rebooting
does not fix the problem.

I've tried many versions of linux 2.2 and 2.4, to no avail.

I'm sure others must have seen this problem... I would be very grateful
for advice leading to a fix.

Aaron Krowne