[ltp] ACPI and 600e

Andre Timmermann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
17 May 2003 22:42:51 +0200

Hi Brandon,

Am Son, 2003-04-06 um 11.41 schrieb Brandon Philips:
> I just downloaded a copy of the 2.4.20 kernel and noticed the ACPI support?
> Anyone tried this out on a Thinkpad 600e?  I didn't dive in like I usually
> would because there was mention in the ACPI module that Thermal support must
> be enabled, and I thought back to the whole LM_SENSORS problem... anyone
> believe it would be dangerous to run ACPI thermal support on a 600e?  Are
> LM_SENSORS and ACPI related in any way, aka any danger involved?

Late reply, I just subscribed to this list ;o)

LM_SENSORS and ACPI are not related in the way of corrupting the eprom.
I run debian_sid on a TP600, and I just compiled in the ACPI-Support in
a new kernel.

First of all, you will need a patch with some enhanceents to the generic
ACPI-support provided by the clean Kernel from kernel.org. In addition I
recommend to use the latest rc-patch, since earlier versions of ACPI do
not seem to work propperly.

I use the 2.4.21-rc1 with the ACPI-pacth from
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/
I have access to 3 different thermal-zones, which are monitored by a
simple mrtg-script.

But there is still some work to do, I am not able to suspend the
machine, to suspend you will need an additional kernelpatch, which is
not available for this kernelversion.

I think it will take some time before the swsusp-patch is avaliable for
an ACPI-version which cooperates with my TP.

Perhaps ist will work on your machine, the 600e-series are newer.

Greetz,
Andre Timmermann

PS: sorry for my bad english ;o)

--